Agasaria
Welcome back!

If you're new and registering today, don't forget to post an intro thread in our Hello, Sunshine category so we can all say hello! Thanks!

Agasaria

A writing site for newbies and veterans alike - we welcome open roleplaying with any genre and skill level welcome, as well as writers of short stories, creative pieces, poetry, workshops, and more!

HomeFAQSearchUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Post Vs. Lines

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Iliana
Staff Member
Staff Member

PostSubject: Post Vs. Lines   Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:01 am

POST VS LINES

The cool thing about role playing is that you and someone else create the story! The characters, settings, dialogue, images; it all belongs to you and your partners! You are the one to control the story, the way it goes, and how much you want to reveal to the readers. However, how can you really accomplish that by writing no more than 3 lines? 3 sentences do not really give a large insight to the thoughts, feelings, image, and detail of the scenario to a reader. Just replying to a post with a word of dialogue and another sentence or two will drag out a role play longer than it needs to be dragged out. The readers want to read the 'story', not the 'he said she said'! A great story needs a decent amount of description! In order to do that, you need to lengthen your posts to a couple pf paragraphs versus lines. Here are some:

3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN WRITING A FULL POST

1.)BE AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS

-This should always come first. Setting is the most important thing about a story. If you do not describe the current whereabouts, readers well just assume that the characters are in a blank space of nothingness. If you want your character to be in their bedroom, then start describing that bedroom. Close your eyes if you have to; make sure you have a clear vision of what the room looks like. Is there a dresser against the wall? Is it wooden? Are one of the knobs chipped?  Is the bed messed up? Are the covers on the floor? What color are the covers? All of these little questions are important in painting a vivid detail of your surroundings. Describing the room in full will most likely take up to 2 paragraphs! That is already putting your post at a lovely length!

2.)DON'T JUST DO--THINK!

-We have this problem a lot. All we do when writing about the character is what the character does. "Bill walked to the door. He checked the handle before unlocking it. When it was unlocked, he walked through. He was now in a dark room. Bill frowned and looked for a light." No no no no no! That is wrong on all accounts! Firstly, add some details to the motherfucker! How does the door handle feel when he touched it? Did he walk through quietly or did he strut inside? Give us something to work with here. However, doing is not all you must describe. Bill does have some thoughts, doesn't he? Do not make your characters seem like dead vegetables! Describe what is running through his mind when he walked through the door. What did he think about the darkness around him? Was he annoyed when he frowned or curious? Make your character seem more like a human being than a robotic machine; this will allow your post to gain some bulk all while giving the reader the same feel and mood as your character.

3.)KNOW WHAT YOU'RE GOING TO SAY BEFORE YOU SAY IT.

-"No you're not. You're sleeping in that bed. I'm tempted, believe me," he said while he purposefully didn't tell her exactly what he was talking about. "Temptations will get me in trouble. You know that. I know that."he said, caressing her cheek as if he was doing as simple as making a PB&J.

That post is...okay, but it is not what you're looking for. Sure, the words may be what you want your character to say, but that should not be all! As in the above tip, the character does have thoughts and feelings. Tie those into your post. While you are posting, you are no longer you: you have now become an all knowing entity that can peer into the mind, heart, and soul of the character and everything around him or her. Knowing what your character is going to say before he or she says it is a good way to also add in his or her current thoughts, feelings, and actions towards the scenario. Is he happy? Why is he acting like this? What does he think about her and things that have happened? How does he feel about this? If you question yourself these things, you will find yourself writing a bigger, bulkier post.

Now! Let's try that post again.

"No. You're not. You're sleeping in that bed."

As tired as he was, he was ready to dog her down about it, going as far as to grab her hand and yank her back into the room. This time, he locked the door. There was no way he was going to allow her to make rules and decisions in his house. This was his fortress where he could make all kinds of rules. Being an American Operative made way for a good credential as well. He wasn't going to use that on Ace. She wouldn't have fallen for it anyway. She had made it clear that she didn't care if he were an op or a damn executioner. Her job was to help him rescue those girls. Marce had nothing wrong with that.

But she was getting in that damned bed.

Marce looked at her for what she really was: a problem. A beautiful, gorgeous, body throbbing problem. But, for the time being and until further notice, she was his problem. "I'm tempted, believe me."he said while he purposefully didn't tell her exactly what he was talking about. She was a good guesser. He hadn't let go of her hand, letting it trail up to her chin which he cupped slowly with his palm. The gesture was affectionate. His gaze on hers was torn. His body was lost. Marce was a wreck, but a wreck that still had a train of thought on the right rails.

"Temptations will get me in trouble. You know that. I know that."he said, caressing her cheek as if he was doing as simple as making a PB&J. He kept his eyes on her face only to show her how serious he was. Always start verbal, Marce. Verbal first. Physical force if need be.

There! Notice how much more detail you have put into it! The post is bigger because Marce's feelings, actions, and own personal train of thought is added into it. Don't make your post just about what he or she said. Bring it to life with thoughts, feelings, and actions!

Use all three of these steps in your writing, and I guarantee your posts will be longer, more detailed, and a simple joy for the readers to read! And again, if you have any questions or you want more information, feel free to contact me through PM and I'll be all too happy to help. Happy postin!
Back to top Go down
GoldenHeartsShineForever

PostSubject: Re: Post Vs. Lines   Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:48 pm

I see your style is much different than mine. I don't actually like longer posts all of the time. While I feel that detail is important, sometimes it's simply unnecessary and some people aren't too good at adding relevant detail that adds to the post. Like me. I'll try and add detail, and it just makes things diluted. I'm not a phenomenally creative guy when writing detail, but I like it that way.

As well, sometimes we as the reader don't want to know what the character's every thoughts are. Some people want to keep an air of mystery about their characters, which I always like.

I'm not saying your style is wrong, I actually love reading it. You are very talented. I'm just saying it's not for everyone. I prefer to write in smaller posts when I can, only relying on the details when it's important.

Back to top Go down
Iliana
Staff Member
Staff Member

PostSubject: Re: Post Vs. Lines   Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:12 am

Of course! Every writing style is different and accepted!

This, of course, is just for writers who want to lengthen their posts, not necessarily a mandatory thing. xD

Which is why a tutorial is called a tutorial! It's a "How To Do This! Very Happy" not a "Do this! D:<"

PostSubject: Re: Post Vs. Lines   

Back to top Go down

Post Vs. Lines
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1