Agasaria
Welcome back!

If you're new and registering today, don't forget to post an intro thread in our Hello, Sunshine category so we can all say hello! Thanks!
Agasaria
Welcome back!

If you're new and registering today, don't forget to post an intro thread in our Hello, Sunshine category so we can all say hello! Thanks!
Agasaria
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Agasaria

A writing site for newbies and veterans alike - we welcome open roleplaying with any genre and skill level welcome, as well as writers of short stories, creative pieces, poetry, workshops, and more!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A new Day Dawns

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Rokku Hizori
Head Diplomat
Head Diplomat
Rokku Hizori

A new Day Dawns - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: A new Day Dawns   A new Day Dawns - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 10:27 pm

The girl was very naive, that much was blatantly clear. Fortunately, Rokku could cure her of that quickly enough. He, on the other hand, was not prepared for such measures. He did, however, have an idea on how to explain the economic system most of the world used. "Trade can work, on a small scale, sure. But say you're a builder, and you need bread. All you have to offer the baker is the offer to build something. the baker doesn't need anything built, so the trade's a no go. But of course, why doesn't the builder find something he CAN trade for? He could, but how many people would he have to look through until he found the one who needed something built? And even then, what if that is still not something the baker wants or has need for? With money, he can simply buy the bread, because the baker knows he can use the money somewhere else to actually buy something he actually needs or wants."
Back to top Go down
Layne
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Layne

PostSubject: Re: A new Day Dawns   A new Day Dawns - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 10:31 pm

Keladry tilted her head a little, watching Lon as he explained it to her. That did make sense, she realized. It was a lot easier to give something that could be used for anything, rather than one specific service that may not be needed. Obviously at home it didn't make sense. The currency they decided to make would only be valued among themselves, and it would be pointless because they could not get anything that they weren't already getting. On a larger scale, however, Keladry realized the benefits. It allowed 'trade' with everybody, no matter where they were from or what they were offering. Hm. Interesting.

"I understand," she said, nodding a little with a smile as she looked up at Lon. "Thank you for explaining that to me. I thought it was just silly."
Back to top Go down
https://agasaria.rpg-board.net
Rokku Hizori
Head Diplomat
Head Diplomat
Rokku Hizori

PostSubject: Re: A new Day Dawns   A new Day Dawns - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 11:03 pm

"For small communities, yes, its rather pointless. Its far easier to trade since most people have something that the other needs, but on a large scale, its best to have a universal item of value, something worth something to everyone. Within Tarvanna, that item is Merits, orbs of silver and gold of various weights, accepted in most foreign lands as well. Copper is less valuable, but it is also used. This..." He said, pulling a small golden orb out of his pocket, about the size of a marble, with a crimson red eye etched into it. "This is a gold merit, worth fifty silver merits and 175 copper merits. A loaf of bread costs about 20 copper merits." He said to give the girl an estimation of their value.
Back to top Go down
Layne
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Layne

PostSubject: Re: A new Day Dawns   A new Day Dawns - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 11:14 pm

"Okay," she said, eyeing the golden orb. Hm. So bread, which was essentially worthless in her opinion since anybody could make it, was worth 20 copper ones of those orbs. Copper ones were not worth very much at all, then, she decided. 175 to a golden one obviously meant the golden ones were worth more, but she suspected that it probably took more than one golden orb to purchase most things of actual value. This was going to be hard to keep track of. "Do people just walk around with those rolling around in their pockets..?"
Back to top Go down
Rokku Hizori
Head Diplomat
Head Diplomat
Rokku Hizori

PostSubject: Re: A new Day Dawns   A new Day Dawns - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 11:32 pm

"It depends on the caste...Something you'll be learning about when you start talking to Rokku. The nobility and merchants trade directly in weighted gold and silver. We're hoping to do away with the entire system." Lon said, shaking his head. The man once again checked the surrounding landscape, and then brought his attention back to the girl. "The caste system is...an outdated form of social organization. You're stuck with whatever occupation your parents possess, and this occupation determines what rights you have as a human being...a rather depressing situation, to say the least." He said, armor clinking as he shifted on his horse.
Back to top Go down
Layne
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Layne

PostSubject: Re: A new Day Dawns   A new Day Dawns - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 11:48 pm

"That is stupid," Keladry decided immediately. "People should not bear the consequences of their parents. It isn't like they've got a choice. Everybody is the same anyway. I'm sure some of the people who think they have more rights are more stupid than the people with less," she said, shaking her head. Things sure were messed up in this place she was supposed to handle. Couldn't she just toss everything out and start over?
Back to top Go down
Rokku Hizori
Head Diplomat
Head Diplomat
Rokku Hizori

PostSubject: Re: A new Day Dawns   A new Day Dawns - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 25, 2014 3:52 pm

Lon smiled, and even let out a small chuckle. "Yes, that's what we're thinking. See, you're already doing better than the past seven kings." He said, and reached into a bag, pulling out a small apple. He quickly twisted it and separated the two halves in one swift motion, and tossed one half to the girl. "The lower three castes aren't happy, to say the least, especially the slaves. That's where you'll be supported the most, as they have the most to gain from your rule."
Back to top Go down
Layne
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Layne

PostSubject: Re: A new Day Dawns   A new Day Dawns - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 25, 2014 10:22 pm

"Slaves? That's going to have to change too," Keladry said after catching the apple half. She took a bite and munched thoughtfully, then shook her head. "People shouldn't own other people. My family fled with slaves and servants, and now their descendants are just as much a part of my family as the 'original' members were. Nobody has a right to tell others they can't have their freedom just because they can't be bothered to clean their own house or do their own laundry," she pointed out, taking another bite.
Back to top Go down
Rokku Hizori
Head Diplomat
Head Diplomat
Rokku Hizori

PostSubject: Re: A new Day Dawns   A new Day Dawns - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 1:34 pm

"Oh not to worry, the institution of slavery has already been abolished. However, its hard for them to make new lives for themselves beyond being paid servants, little has changed, sadly." Lon said with a sigh, taking a bite of the apple half. He rode then in silence, scanning the trees and the sides of the roads. Winter made his job easier, but not by much. "Hopefully, it will be warmer once we get down the mountains..." Lon said absently, then stood in his stirrups as a rider carrying the Lucinian banner, the ruling family in the region, and one of the Seven High Houses, the only one to support Keladry so far. "What news have you brought from Daleria?" Lon called to him.

The rider dashed up to Lon, regal in his green enameled breastplate, but his expression was clearly one of absolute fear. "Daleria is under siege! Queen Shazuk of Desera has begun her invasion even while the church still rules! She has thrown caution to the wind and has set her sights on Daleria! She plans to capture the border castle-cities!" He called, and then remembered to bow slightly. "We have sent word to Imperia, but help is days away! An attack from the rear by your Lunar Corp would give us an edge and greatly help us lift the siege!"

Lon looked at the man, then over his forces. In all, there were about two hundred, fifty of which were Lunar Corp soldiers, and the rest armed representatives of various minor houses. He looked at them, back at the rider, and then to Keladry. "Well Keladry, up for your first battle?"
Back to top Go down
Layne
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Layne

PostSubject: Re: A new Day Dawns   A new Day Dawns - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 5:57 pm

Keladry frowned a little. It was wonderful that she did not have to go through the work of dismantling slavery, especially since she knew that would win her enemies. But the fact that little had changed told her that there was in fact much to do still. She pondered that, nodding a little as she munched her apple while Lon spoke of warmth. It wasn't even unseasonably cold for the time of year. Perhaps it was much different away from home..

She looked up as Lon suddenly spoke again, and very obviously not to her. What..? She turned, seeing a man on a horse coming closer. He was different than the others she had seen so far. Daleria was the place Lon had asked about before, she knew, but she didn't know what anything else meant. Queen Shazuk, Desera, Imperia. It may as well have been a different language. What she did pick up on was the fact that somebody was invading somebody else, and this man was upset about it because they were going to lose.

"Battle?" she repeated, startled to even be addressed in this situation. "Uh.. No, no I am not ready," she said honestly, shaking her head rapidly.
Back to top Go down
Rokku Hizori
Head Diplomat
Head Diplomat
Rokku Hizori

PostSubject: Re: A new Day Dawns   A new Day Dawns - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 6:05 pm

"Well, here's your first lesson: Sometimes you don't have a choice." Lon said, then turned to the rider. "Go and inform who you can that we will be there as soon as we can." He said, and then charged for the front of the column. He shouted orders in Agasarian to his Lunar Corp, and they quickly picked up their pace and quickly lost the rest of the military. He then turned to the others. "We make for Daleria! We lift the siege! The Lunar Corp has gone ahead to soften the enemy, and we will attack upon arrival from over the hills. March!" He yelled, and the entire column, including the supply carts, increased their speed.
Back to top Go down
Layne
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Layne

PostSubject: Re: A new Day Dawns   A new Day Dawns - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 6:50 pm

"No choice.." she repeated faintly, cheeks pale. She stared after Lon as he rode off to yell at people, suddenly feeling quite lost. A battle? This could not be happening. What was she supposed to even do?! She swallowed and was silent for a bit, until she saw Lon come back into view. "You do realize I can't fight in the least, right?" she asked, bracing herself on the cart to keep from tumbling off.
Back to top Go down
Rokku Hizori
Head Diplomat
Head Diplomat
Rokku Hizori

PostSubject: Re: A new Day Dawns   A new Day Dawns - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 7:06 pm

"I am well aware, and you are not expected to do so. But a battle is coming whether we want it or not, and its best you see what one is like now rather than later. Stay with the supply carts, and away from the fighting. I'll be teaching you some magic for self defense when this is over." He said, pulling out several more arrows and going through them, adding different enchantments to each.
Back to top Go down
Layne
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Layne

PostSubject: Re: A new Day Dawns   A new Day Dawns - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 7:11 pm

"Right.." Keladry said, stunned. Magic? Her? She eyed her hands doubtfully, then turned to look at all of the people before them. Okay, so they were going to defend a place against being invaded. That made sense. Since Lon was on her side and she liked him, she assumed that meant that they had the same enemies. Logically, this Queen Whateverhernamewas was her enemy as well. So she should care about the outcome of this battle. She frowned a bit and turned back to Lon. "You're going to be okay, right..?"
Back to top Go down
Rokku Hizori
Head Diplomat
Head Diplomat
Rokku Hizori

PostSubject: Re: A new Day Dawns   A new Day Dawns - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 7:24 pm

"I've survived several battles already, and I don't intend on dying in this one." He said, placing his last arrows into the side compartment of his quiver. "Stay with the carts. Do not get too close to the fighting. I must go to the front with the rest of the Corp." Lon said, and then kicked his horse into a full gallop down the road.
Back to top Go down
Layne
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Layne

PostSubject: Re: A new Day Dawns   A new Day Dawns - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 8:53 pm

Nobody intended on dying. Keladry frowned and watched him go, then scrambled up over the cart to the person driving it.

"Do you think they're going to be okay?" she asked, worried. If this Queen person was really a threat and confident enough to attack, would Lon's people really be enough to stop her?
Back to top Go down
Rokku Hizori
Head Diplomat
Head Diplomat
Rokku Hizori

PostSubject: Re: A new Day Dawns   A new Day Dawns - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 4:29 am

The driver looked at the girl, and nodded a bit, whipping the reigns a bit on the horses. "Aye, I think they'll be fine. The enemy no be knowing we're here, nor that we be with the Lunar Corp. They be the most feared warriors in Arras, ye know." He said, nodding. "The battle may be over when we be getting there."
Back to top Go down
Layne
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Layne

PostSubject: Re: A new Day Dawns   A new Day Dawns - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 8:19 am

The most feared warriors? Really? Lon did not seem so frightening. He was actually pretty nice for the most part, even though he had lied to her and seemed a bit too stern sometimes for his own good. It was hard to picture him in a battle. Then again, it was hard to picture anybody in a battle, because she had never actually seen one. She nodded a bit to the driver and carefully settled back in the cart, hoping he was right. Maybe it really would all be over by the time they got there. Then she wouldn't even have to worry about it.
Back to top Go down
Rokku Hizori
Head Diplomat
Head Diplomat
Rokku Hizori

PostSubject: Re: A new Day Dawns   A new Day Dawns - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 4:12 pm

The driver whipped the horse a bit more, and it went into a fast trot. The Tarvannan soldiers formed a makeshift phalanx, a difficult task for the small number of men, but they managed well enough. The formation would be effective enough, more so after they got off to a running start. The carts stayed behind the few soldiers, however, knowing full well that any civilians riding into the Deserian camp would end up dead and/or looted.

The soldiers eventually ran beyond the sight of the carts, but they did not pick up their pace. They were far more vulnerable at the front lines than they were behind the few soldiers the nobles had provided. Soon, however, the sound of fighting reached the ears, screams of men and horses, and the shrieks of a few warrior women of Desera. "Ach, no such luck, eh?" The driver said, shaking his head.
Back to top Go down
Layne
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Layne

PostSubject: Re: A new Day Dawns   A new Day Dawns - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 10:25 pm

"Oh no.." Keladry murmured, wincing as she heard the fighting that they were getting closer to. This was not good. Not good at all. She wasn't worried about herself, of course. After all, she couldn't even see the fighting yet. But she was rather worried about those who had gone off to fight. What about Lon? What about the cranky kitchen man? She wasn't even sure if he went off to fight, but he wasn't in her direct line of vision, so she reasoned that it was logical to worry. Not to mention all of the others she hadn't met yet.
Back to top Go down
Rokku Hizori
Head Diplomat
Head Diplomat
Rokku Hizori

PostSubject: Re: A new Day Dawns   A new Day Dawns - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 11:04 pm

The great walls of Duleria soon began to rise on the edge of the horizon. The walls were once pristine granite, likely shining in the light, but now they were cracked and weathered, but still held strong. The Deserese army numbered well into the thousands, and it was clear that it was the bulk of their military might. Even with this massive force, however, the walls held strong, as did the garrison. Waves of arrows hailed on the unarmored 'ant troops' of Desera, their slings and swords of little use to them, but the absorbed the enemy's arrows, as they were meant to. Behind these, armored men with heavy shields and long spears stood in tight formations. They made up the bulk of the force, but were far from the best equipped.

The last units were women, heavily armored in long chainmail, covered in curiasses and shoulder plates, but clearly the best armed. They rode in chariots, and wore swords at their waists, and longbows sent arrows flying over the walls. However, on one end, the charioteers were desperately trying to fight off Lon and his Lunar Corp, and failing miserably, as they were hidden among the hills and copse forests, taking out chariot archer and horse alike.
Back to top Go down
Layne
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Layne

PostSubject: Re: A new Day Dawns   A new Day Dawns - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 7:55 pm

Keladry perched on her knees in the cart, gazing over the side. When Lon had said a 'battle', she had pictured a small skirmish type of ordeal. Perhaps a few dozen people on either side, fighting it out over whatever problem they had. This was not a few dozen people. She stopped counting once she realized going up and over one hundred was not even going to touch the true number. This wasn't a battle, was it? It seemed more fitting to call it a war! How had they been caught behind something this large without realizing it? Or perhaps Lon had realized it and hoped to avoid it. He seemed the type that was always prepared.

Speaking of Lon, she thought that she spotted him once or twice. It was hard to tell along the edges of the trees, but she did notice that women were falling quickly. There had to be somebody there causing it. Still, she worried. Even once the women were gone, there were going to be many left. Did Lon intend on killing them all before they moved forward?

He had told her several times to stay with the cart.. but..

"Do you think we should help somehow?" she asked the cart driver.
Back to top Go down
Rokku Hizori
Head Diplomat
Head Diplomat
Rokku Hizori

PostSubject: Re: A new Day Dawns   A new Day Dawns - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 8:19 pm

The small group of Tarvannan spear-men had moved into a defensive formation, shields raised and spears leveled in a spiked wall formation. Of the hundred or so men present, most of them were from this very city or the lands ruled over by its noble family, the Laricenii, The only noble house to outright support the new government. By international agreement, the Tarvannan soldiers could do nothing, as they represented the new nation, the new Tarvanna, which no noble house was officially part of yet.

The cook stroked his chin, eyeing the situation and half listening to Keladry's question. "We can no do nothing, technically. We have no weapons, I am no good with magic...We would only get ourselves killed." He said finally, looking up ahead to the soldiers. The banner of Tarvanna flew high above the spearmen, the red eye in the center of a golden rose rippling on the sky blue cloth. Right now, that meant the city of Imperia and nothing else. "Though...if you wanted to..." The cook said with a sly grin "YOU could declare this Tarvannan territory, and order those soldiers to fight. Most of them are from this very city, so they would be with in that decision...Of course, Tarvanna would also be officially declaring war on Desera, but that looks inevitable if you ask me."
Back to top Go down
Layne
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Layne

PostSubject: Re: A new Day Dawns   A new Day Dawns - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 8:42 pm

"Declare it Tarvannan territory?" Keladry repeated, staring at him. Was he insane? Sure, Lon hadn't told her not to go around claiming things for a kingdom that she had never been in, but it was probably sort of implied. She didn't even know anything about Desera. Hadn't Lon said they were enemies? They were obviously fighting now, and the fact that they couldn't get in to the wall meant they weren't welcome. Declaring war on them wouldn't be much of a loss, would it?

But..

She didn't even know who owned this territory in the first place. If it was Desera, why weren't they allowed in? And what did claiming a territory really mean? She didn't even know how to go about doing that! It wasn't as though people just said 'this is mine!' like some toddler with a favored toy.. was it?

"I don't know.. I'm not even in charge of anything yet," she said uncertainly. "Do you really think that's the right thing to do? Why won't the soldiers fight on their own if they want to protect their city? I don't know if I want to start a war.. Lon might not approve.."
Back to top Go down
Rokku Hizori
Head Diplomat
Head Diplomat
Rokku Hizori

PostSubject: Re: A new Day Dawns   A new Day Dawns - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 8:51 pm

The cook shrugged. "This be the territory of the Laricenii, the only noble family to be supporting the rebuilding of Tarvanna. They want to see a brighter future, so yes...I think it is right." He said after a long moment. "Besides, this be part of Tarvanna, so Desera be trying to use the treaty against us. Attacking the nobles one by one so they be weak. They be needing us." The cook said, nodding.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A new Day Dawns   A new Day Dawns - Page 5 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A new Day Dawns
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Agasaria :: Roleplay :: Fantasy Roleplays-
Jump to: