Agasaria
Welcome back!

If you're new and registering today, don't forget to post an intro thread in our Hello, Sunshine category so we can all say hello! Thanks!
Agasaria
Welcome back!

If you're new and registering today, don't forget to post an intro thread in our Hello, Sunshine category so we can all say hello! Thanks!
Agasaria
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Agasaria

A writing site for newbies and veterans alike - we welcome open roleplaying with any genre and skill level welcome, as well as writers of short stories, creative pieces, poetry, workshops, and more!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A new Day Dawns

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Layne
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Layne

A new Day Dawns - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: A new Day Dawns   A new Day Dawns - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 19, 2014 8:47 am

"Ruins your efforts..?" Keladry repeated, confused. She frowned and watched him walk away, noting that he was a very grumpy person. She turned to Lon as he got up, a bit relieved to see a somewhat familiar face. Though, she was actually more pleased that he had survived than she was relieved. Apparently wrapping him up in blankets had worked. Did that mean they were at the camp now..? She tilted her head a little and listened to him tell her about the possibility of attack. Oh dear. "Wait, why would anybody want to attack us?" she asked, shaking her head as she stood up carefully. "I haven't done anything wrong!"
Back to top Go down
https://agasaria.rpg-board.net
Rokku Hizori
Head Diplomat
Head Diplomat
Rokku Hizori

PostSubject: Re: A new Day Dawns   A new Day Dawns - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 19, 2014 5:19 pm

"No, you haven't, but the enemy doesn't care. You will find that out here, there are far more hostile individuals than you would ever have found on your family farm." Lon said, taking out an arrow and whispering gently to the head. It glowed a brilliant white, then faded, and he slipped it into a secondary compartment in his quiver. "You're a threat, as are my own troops. Your entire family is in danger, which is why I wanted to sneak there and back myself. Fortunately, however, they did not follow me into the woods. However, they saw us crash into the camp. So while your family is safe, we aren't." He said, and turned to the door to call out the space. "Greduals decrum, fas en furms!" He yelled.
Back to top Go down
Layne
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Layne

PostSubject: Re: A new Day Dawns   A new Day Dawns - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 19, 2014 5:29 pm

Keladry frowned, glancing around at the other people. Nobody seemed surprised. That meant quite a few people knew where her family was located. Why, then, had they still been living in peace? If people wanted a Haragiri so badly, why were they just now being disturbed? Even Lon hadn't found the entire village yet. She adjusted her cloak and picked up her bag, slinging it across her body to keep it secure as she pondered. Danger to her family sounded terrible. There were many children. They wouldn't be able to run for it, not in the snow.

"Can I help?" she finally asked, turning back to Lon.
Back to top Go down
Rokku Hizori
Head Diplomat
Head Diplomat
Rokku Hizori

PostSubject: Re: A new Day Dawns   A new Day Dawns - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 19, 2014 5:48 pm

Lon sighed as the girl spoke, and motioned for her to follow him. Outside, the camp was a hub of activity as men broke down tents and made sure their arms and armor were on and ready to use at a moments notice. A few representatives of The Lucian house bowed to Keladry, but then quickly went about getting the camp into a state where it could be moved. "Go speak to Kazuk, he's by the kitchens, just follow the smell of Food. Tell him Lon said you were to help him pack up the rations."
Back to top Go down
Layne
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Layne

PostSubject: Re: A new Day Dawns   A new Day Dawns - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 19, 2014 5:51 pm

Keladry blinked as she was bowed to, unsure how to react. Before she could ask Lon, however, he was telling her what to do. She simply nodded and went off to hunt down Kazuk. An odd name, she decided. The smell of food was easy to follow, and her stomach grumbled as she hunted. Soon enough she found the kitchen, and she stepped inside to peek around for the man in question.
Back to top Go down
Rokku Hizori
Head Diplomat
Head Diplomat
Rokku Hizori

PostSubject: Re: A new Day Dawns   A new Day Dawns - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 19, 2014 5:53 pm

A tall man was stuffing barrels full of various dry foods, rice, flour, beans, mostly unprepared morsels. He glanced up at the girl, and spoke in heavily accented Tarvannan. "You eat quickly or not at all. There jerkey rations not packed, those you eat." He said, and then went back to packing, now shouting swift orders to two smaller men, who quickly nodded and rushed off.
Back to top Go down
Layne
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Layne

PostSubject: Re: A new Day Dawns   A new Day Dawns - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 19, 2014 5:55 pm

"I'm not here to eat. Lon sent me to pick up rations," she said, though she did take a piece of jerky and munched on it as she watched him. Everybody was so busy! She glanced back absently, wondering if they really would be attacked.
Back to top Go down
Rokku Hizori
Head Diplomat
Head Diplomat
Rokku Hizori

PostSubject: Re: A new Day Dawns   A new Day Dawns - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 19, 2014 6:04 pm

"Yes, you set aside rations. Two jerkey, one bread, one cheese, one apple. One each man, fifty men. You do math." He said, and pointed to the back room, where a series of travel rations were set up and neatly wrapped in cloth, ready to be delivered.
Back to top Go down
Layne
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Layne

PostSubject: Re: A new Day Dawns   A new Day Dawns - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 19, 2014 6:07 pm

"Oh! Okay," she agreed, going back and looking at the stacks of rations. Well, this would be fairly simple. It was just handing things out. She scooped up what she could, carefully filling her bag and her arms before trotting out to hand them out to anybody she saw.
Back to top Go down
Rokku Hizori
Head Diplomat
Head Diplomat
Rokku Hizori

PostSubject: Re: A new Day Dawns   A new Day Dawns - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 19, 2014 6:10 pm

The men took the food and moved, the soldiers standing in formation, now packed and ready to leave. The Mess tent had already come down, and laborers were hauling food onto horse drawn carts. Lon rode out before the troops, mounted atop a black horse, sword in hand. He called to the troops, shouting more orders in Agasarian, and the columns instantly turned to the left, and began to march off along the road in that direction. "Keladry." He said, trotting over to the girl. "Ride with the supply carts, I'll be along shortly." He said, and pulled the reigns of his horse to trot off in another direction.
Back to top Go down
Layne
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Layne

PostSubject: Re: A new Day Dawns   A new Day Dawns - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 19, 2014 6:13 pm

"Yes, mother," Keladry muttered, shaking her head. She despised being told what to do when she had no idea what was really going on, but she knew for now it was probably for the best.. as much as she hated to admit it. Still, she wished she had brought along her own horse from home instead of being more stealthy. She walked off to the side and hopped on the back of one of the supply carts, then took her map out of her pocket. Where were they going to go?
Back to top Go down
Rokku Hizori
Head Diplomat
Head Diplomat
Rokku Hizori

PostSubject: Re: A new Day Dawns   A new Day Dawns - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 19, 2014 6:18 pm

Lon got his final orders known, and then rode off to find the girl. She would likely be confused and possibly frightened, but it was better than her having an arrow through her forehead. Lon took note of the map, and said "We're heading to Daleria. Its the closest friendly city, and likely bigger than you've ever seen. We'll be safe there." He said, looking at the girl, wondering if she even knew about the war.
Back to top Go down
Layne
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Layne

PostSubject: Re: A new Day Dawns   A new Day Dawns - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 19, 2014 6:24 pm

Keladry glanced up at Lon, then back down at the map. Daleria wasn't even on there. The most likely explanation was that nobody had ever ventured out that far. A big city was too dangerous when your entire family was in hiding. She sighed and folded the map back up, tucking it away. This was going to be harder than she had anticipated. She didn't even know what a real city looked like, outside of the few old paintings they had at home.

"Why is there so much fighting going on?" she asked, looking back up at Lon with a frown. "We've never had problems with anybody in the woods, and nobody in the villages we trade of has spoken of hiding or I would have heard about it before. What am I missing?"
Back to top Go down
Rokku Hizori
Head Diplomat
Head Diplomat
Rokku Hizori

PostSubject: Re: A new Day Dawns   A new Day Dawns - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 2:56 am

Lon looked at Keladry, and sighed. "The world." He said, realizing just how little she knew of, well, everything. "The Agasarian Empire and the Kingdom of Tarvanna have been enemies for a very long time, with four wars fought between them that you likely know of. What you likely don't know, was the recent end of a fifth war. Agasaria was the victor, but we have neither the desire nor the resources to rule over Tarvanna. Therefore, the church agreed to rule over the country, but by its own rules, can only do so for a year. After that time, the country will be turned over to the Coucil of Nobles...and absolute civil war will ensue. The people will suffer, and the country could very well collapses, as the lords are fairly even. To complicate things further, Desera seeks to conquer the nation, which would then place it in a position to attack Agasaria and drag us in to yet another war. The solution to all this was to place someone on the throne, someone the church, the nobles, and Agasaria could agree on. That person was a Haragiri." He said, glanceing to the edge of the woods, then back to the girl. "Of course, by nobles, I mean one of the Seven High Houses and less than a fourth of the Lower houses...that was the most we could get. The other houses...well, they want their chance to rule. Therefore, you and every other Haragiri is a threat to them. That's why they want you, me, and everyone else trying to instate your family as ruling family dead."
Back to top Go down
Layne
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Layne

PostSubject: Re: A new Day Dawns   A new Day Dawns - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 1:35 pm

Keladry nodded a little as she listened. Her tutors had spoken of the wars, of course, but she was surprised to hear there was another one. Naturally they had missed some things, but a war? She listened with interest, wondering absently why Agasaria would engage in a war if they didn't want to rule Tarvanna at all. Perhaps Tarvanna started it. That would explain why they now had no leader - the loss would toss them out and everybody would be upset they started it in the first place. She had never heard of a church running a country, but it did seem like a good idea to have something in charge.

"Wait a moment," she said, blinking as he finished speaking for the moment. "You expect me to learn how to rule a country.. And not only to rule it, but to keep a bunch of nobles I've never met before happy, and keep them from going to war with each other and myself.. And protect my family from a threat they don't even know exists? On top of which most people don't even want me there?" she asked, stunned. She didn't know how many of the 'Lower houses' there were, but there were at least six more High Houses if only one out of seven agreed to having a Haragiri there. That was a lot of enemies that she hadn't even met yet..
Back to top Go down
Rokku Hizori
Head Diplomat
Head Diplomat
Rokku Hizori

PostSubject: Re: A new Day Dawns   A new Day Dawns - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 9:27 pm

Lon looked at the girl, pity taking only a moment to grace his eye, and then he sighed. "Unfortunately...yes, that's the gist of it. Fortunately, some of these problems are one and the same. For example, ruling correctly will help keep the nobles in line, and therefore keep your family safe. As for them going to war with each other...Christ, I doubt that'd be possible at all. Of course, remember, you'll have help the entire time. Myself, Lord Rokku, Lady Lucia, Archbishop Arnald, and many lords to help teach you all you'll need to know. Its a hard task, yes, but not impossible, and certainly not one we expect to take only a year. Your training and our help will continue until you no longer need it."
Back to top Go down
Layne
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Layne

PostSubject: Re: A new Day Dawns   A new Day Dawns - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 9:35 pm

"Ruling correctly?" Keladry repeated, feeling a bit faint as she stared at him. "I don't know how to rule at all, much less correctly. You just said yourself it would take over a year to learn all of this. What's going to happen in the meantime? I'd be responsible for the downfall of an entire country!" she exclaimed, shaking her head rapidly. There was no way she could do this. Absolutely not. She was not fit to be a queen!
Back to top Go down
Rokku Hizori
Head Diplomat
Head Diplomat
Rokku Hizori

PostSubject: Re: A new Day Dawns   A new Day Dawns - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 9:41 pm

"Firstly, you won't be crowned for an entire year. Secondly, even after you're crowned, you're still not ruling by yourself. It will possibly be decades before that happens. We just need to show someone that we're doing all we can to prepare you to rule, and that we will be there to guide you as you learn how to do so. We're not throwing you out to the sharks here." Lon said with a genuine smile. He made the scenario sound difficult, but far from impossible.
Back to top Go down
Layne
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Layne

PostSubject: Re: A new Day Dawns   A new Day Dawns - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 9:50 pm

"Well.. alright.." Keladry agreed uneasily, frowning slightly. This still seemed a very bad idea, but.. She had a year. If she couldn't do it, surely Lon and those other people would realize it long before the time was up. She could simply give up and leave and perhaps fetch another relative. There wasn't one who came to mind who would be very good at it, but maybe she could find one. Or maybe Tarvanna could find somebody who wasn't a Haragiri. Either way, she had a choice. Right..? She nodded a little to herself and gave Lon a half smile. "I'll try."
Back to top Go down
Rokku Hizori
Head Diplomat
Head Diplomat
Rokku Hizori

PostSubject: Re: A new Day Dawns   A new Day Dawns - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 10:01 pm

"that is all we can ask of you." Lon said, nodding simply. He scanned the trees, seeing only snow, and then returned his attention to the girl. "It's mostly a matter of common sense anyway. Making sure people don't kill each other, making sure there's enough food, balancing a budget, things I'm sure you're already at least slightly familiar with, aye?"
Back to top Go down
Layne
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Layne

PostSubject: Re: A new Day Dawns   A new Day Dawns - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 10:04 pm

"Somewhat.." Keladry mused. "At home, there is always enough food to go around because we learned that healthy crops and livestock were the only way to keep our family alive. We grow everything that we need. We don't have enough of us to be able to afford killing each other off, so squabbles are settled by mothers or drunken fistfights out in the square for everybody to see," she explained. "As for a budget.. Well, it's hard to balance a budget when you haven't got any money to put on the scale."
Back to top Go down
Rokku Hizori
Head Diplomat
Head Diplomat
Rokku Hizori

PostSubject: Re: A new Day Dawns   A new Day Dawns - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 10:06 pm

"Well, running a country is essentially a scaled up version of that model. Except you can buy food from other people and will have much more money coming in to load the scales. Mostly what you'll need to learn is culture and history, and possibly a bit of war tactics, though that's not really a monarch's job."
Back to top Go down
Layne
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Layne

PostSubject: Re: A new Day Dawns   A new Day Dawns - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 10:09 pm

Keladry blinked and tilted her head.

"What do I need money for?"
Back to top Go down
Rokku Hizori
Head Diplomat
Head Diplomat
Rokku Hizori

PostSubject: Re: A new Day Dawns   A new Day Dawns - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 10:16 pm

Lon looked at the girl, and concern pulsated through his entire being, though he did not show it. "Money buys everything a country needs. Food, roads, public buildings, schools, libraries, the military...the list goes on. Did your family not use money?"
Back to top Go down
Layne
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Layne

PostSubject: Re: A new Day Dawns   A new Day Dawns - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 10:22 pm

"No," she said simply. "We had no use for it. Everything we needed, we simply made or gave to each other. We shared, sometimes traded. I do know the basic idea of money.. Trading currency in some form or another for an item, yes? My tutors explained it. They said that many people died because of it, and wars were started over it. I do not understand why it is so important. Why can't people simply help others who have needs?"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A new Day Dawns   A new Day Dawns - Page 4 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A new Day Dawns
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Agasaria :: Roleplay :: Fantasy Roleplays-
Jump to: